Things to Get
- Backpack (55 – 65 L) with sturdy straps and supporting frame.Quechua Forclaz 60 is a good choice.
- Daypack (20-25 L) — optional. Useful for summit/pass day. Also required if you want to offload your backpack on the trek.
- Trekking shoes – no sports shoes. You need traction on snow and sport shoes with their PVC soles are hardly the choice. Ensure the shoes are well broken in before the trek. Forclaz 500 and Woodland are good choices. A guide on how to choose a trekking shoe is here Note: You can buy Decathalon products from http://www.decathlon.in/
- Ladies with smaller feet size find it a problem to get a shoe. Forclaz 500 has special trekking shoes for women.
- 3 pair of track pants (at least one should be synthetic quick-dry kind). Or 3 pair of cotton pants with lots of pockets. Track pants are light and we highly endorse them. Plus when things get cold you can wear one over the other.
- 3 cotton tees with collar. No bright colours like reds and fluorescents. Stick with lighter tones. There are plenty of birds to be seen on the trek and you don’t want to scare them with your sense of dress.
- Two full sleeve sweater. A fleece jacket would be an alternative.
- A full sleeve thick jacket.
- 4 pairs of undergarments.
- 1 pair of thermal inners.
- 4-5 pair of sports socks.
- Woolen monkey cap/balaclava that cover the ear. Special high altitude balaclava that also serves as neck warmers is available with Indiahikes. They cost Rs 130. To order mail us at email@example.com
- Light weight rain coat/poncho (to escape a quick burst of rain).
- Woolen hand gloves + synthetic glove (water proof).
- Sun glasses – curved ones will cover your eyes well. No blue coloured sunglass — they don’t block UV. Blacks, greens, browns are fine. Avoid multi tone sunglasses. Sunglasses prevent snow blindness. Sunglasses are mandatory for this trek.
- Sun cap and/or head-scarf. Special hiking caps with sun flaps that protect from UV is available with Indiahikes. They cost Rs 220. To order mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Trekking pole is mandatory. You can buy a trekking pole online from Rediff. Duralumin 4-step telescopic anti-shock trekking poles are available with Indiahikes at the cost of Rs 450. To order mail us at email@example.com
- People who wear spectacles, choose one of these:
- Use contact lenses.
- Photochromatic glasses, If either of the above is not possible, wear your spectacles and carry a big sunglass that can be worn over your spectacles.
- Light towel (should be thin, quick drying kind).
- Chapstick or lip balm.
- Cold cream and sun screen lotion (SPF 40+). While sun screen help prevent sun burns, a better option is to stay covered. Special hiking caps with sun flaps are available with Indiahikes. They cost Rs 220. To order mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org
- 2 Water bottles (1 L each). Do not carry packaged water bottles like Bisleri, Aquafina and others.
- LED Torch with extra set of cells (head lamps preferable).
- Personal toilet kit (minimal) and toilet paper.
- Small repair kit consisting of safety pins, needle, thread and string (mandatory).
- Personal medicine kit containing:
- Crocin – 5 tablets
- Avomine – 4 tablets
- Avil 25mg – 4 tablets
- Diamox – 15 tablets
- Brufen 400 – 5 tablets
- Combiflam – 5 tablets
- Disprin – 10 tablets
- Norflox – 10 tablets
- Crepe bandage – 3 to 5 meters
- Band aid – 10 strips
- Digene – 10 tablets
- Gauze cloth – 1 small role
- Leukoplast – 1 small roll
- Cotton – 1 small roll
- ORS – 5 packets
- Betadine cream
- Moov spray
- Camera, memory-cards, batteries etc (carry enough spare batteries. Electricity is not available on the slopes)
- Slippers/sandals (for walking around campsite).
- Some trekkers feel loss of energy more than others. While there is adequate food provided on the trek, carry a few energy bars (dry fruit pouches are better than 5 Star/Munch).
- While packing, use bags to compartmentalize things and carry few extra plastic bags for wet clothes.
- Carry a leak proof tiffin box, a plate, spoon and coffee mug.
- Leave your denims behind – these are ill suited for treks and add weight.
- Snacks, colas, alcohol and personal food – No need to overburden yourself with food.
- Do not carry any disposable plastic bottles like (Bisleri, Aquafina), plastic wrapped/packaged items. Do not bring any non bio degradable material.
- Don’t get any sleeping bags. We are going to carry high altitude sleeping bags with us. We would also be carrying Alpine tents, ice-axes, and other equipment required for such treks.
- After packing, weigh your gear. It should be in the range of 8-9 kg – preferably on the lighter side. Anything heavier, you will need to iterate and remove what is not essential.
- Carry light and what is essential. As an example, toothpaste should be bought in small size (that can last you 10 days). Do not plan for “if” situations. The list of things mentioned here are exactly what you need and nothing more.
And now some general advice about clothing…
To protect yourself from cold, dressing in layers is the mantra. Two T-shirts worn one over the other is warmer than a T-shirt that is thick. 3 T-shirts worn one over the other is as good as a full sweater. This is just a guideline. If you are prone to cold carry an extra sweater.
Along with the above list, please ensure you also carry the following documents
1. An identification card (like driving license, voters ID card etc), along with a photocopy. 2. A passport size photo. 3. A medical certificate specifying the following points (Download pdf here). 4. Disclaimer certificate (Download pdf here).. The documents are mandatory.Without them you will not be allowed to trek.
Trekking Gears available with Indiahikes
It is often difficult for trekkers to find special trekking gears in India. Indiahikes has imported a few trekking gears that is available. These have to be ordered over email with email@example.com. On confirmation of availability, payment has to be made online and the gears will need to be picked up from our office. If you are close to the batch starting date email to firstname.lastname@example.org and check if gears can be sent to the base camp of your trek 1. Special high altitude balaclava which works as neck warmers. Please don’t buy monkey cap or woolen cap if you buy this. Rs 130/- 2. Hiking cap with flaps (for face, neck and ears). These are meant specifically for hiking. Protects from UV. Rs 220/- 3. Trekking poles: Duralumin 4-step telescopic anti-shock with basket. Rs 450/-
Note: Please add Rs 70 for all items or any one item as registered parcel charges. Trekkers can buy premium trekking gear from Adventure Point. Indiahikes trekkers get an additional 10% discount over and above any promotions that are running at Adventure Point website. Please email email@example.com for promo code.